The day started early, we were up showered and ready to leave before 5:30 in the morning. Chari checked in at 6:30 and it wasn’t very long before she was called back and she and her son disappeared for prep for about an hour. I did have company in the waiting room as her friend Barb showed up to wait with us, and I did go back and see her before she was taken away and we were told four to six hours.
At about four hours I started watching the surgery doors every time they opened and it was about 30 minutes later that the surgeon came out to tell us everything was good. The surgery went well and she would be in recovery for at least an hour before going to her room.
It was at this point we left briefly for a really bad cafeteria lunch. She was in a lot of pain when she came rolling out of the surgery doors and it was hard to watch. But settled in her room and was given some pain meds. In a few hours she was talking a little in between cat naps and I went home to take care of the dogs and let her have some time with Kris and then get some sleep.
So there is the update for everyone wondering. She is out of surgery, the bone graft spot may actually be more sore tonight and she will be in there for another 3 to 4 days. There will be a few months of pain from the procedure but hopefully the pressure is off the disk.
No for the not so PC observations from the waiting room.
- The real waiting room is NOTHING like Greys.
- The general public is really fat. Like REALLY. (And I’m fat, but d.a.m.n)
- The vending machine guy was there 3 times. The first time at 6:45 in the morning and two more times before 5 pm ……. because people never really stopped crunching on crap
- Fashion is….a…..statement, if nothing else.
- Fast food smells much worse when mixed with stale hospital air.
- Even reading 75% of a really good book in 9 hours in not enough to drown out the crunching of nearly 50 bags of chips.