This was a big year, moving away from Washington, getting settled and adapting to Southern California. This quiz is always a fun way to recap the year in silly little questions. Here are the quiz links from last five years. 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. Copy this years, fill it out in your own blog or Facebook, just put a link in my comments so I can read about your year.
1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
MOVED away from my “home town”.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
This year was to put the job hunt on the front burner, after a 6 month temp job I have actually landed a full-time job (first one since 2010). This year I need to focus on paying down debt, putting money in savings and losing more weight. (Gee guess I’m pretty average as my resolutions are in line with 90% of the population)
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not really close to me but I did cover for maternity leave. However next year there is already a baby expected.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No person, just Sophie at the beginning of the year.
5. What countries did you visit?
Ha.. Um, I saw parts of Southern California and it was grand.
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
Work balance, not to be confused with Work/Life balance which I think I achieved just fine. Work balance should be attainable starting off the year with a new job. So much time was spent looking, applying, updating, interviewing, following up that it felt like a full-time unpaid job. Even more so when that continued but I was also working. 2014 is already looking better.
7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January 17th, drove away from Washington. December 18, Job Offer.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Budgeting….I managed to pay all of my bills on less than 20K in income and still contribute to the household with groceries, cooking and sweat equity!
9. What was your biggest failure?
No failures here, things I could have done better perhaps but if I learned from it, it wasn’t a failure now was it.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I sure didn’t buy much, but I would have to say airfare home.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Taylor Rae!!! So proud of her achievements this year.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Congress. Every one of them.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage, bills, groceries.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Getting to spend every day with Lori. Lori passing her national and then state tests. Did I mention the job offer.
16. What song will always remind you of 2013?
There was quite a bit of music this year, unfortunately the song that sticks for this year is that “What does the fox say“
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?….happier…how is that possible every year
b) thinner or fatter?….thinner
c) richer or poorer?….about the same.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Exercise. Floss probably.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Sleeping in, visiting friends, playing Farkle.
21. Did you fall in love in 2013?
More every day.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Big Bang Theory re-runs.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No time for hating.
24. What was the best book you read?
I am in the middle of Dr. Sleep by Stephen King and it is goooood, so that made it hard to think back but probably And the Mountain Echoed by Khaled Hosseini was the best book of the year.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Corinne Bailey Rae.
26. What did you want and get?
Love, Happiness, a job.
27. What did you want and not get?
Guess I would have to say travel as I got everything I wanted.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I only saw a couple, but the best one was “Heat” with Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was forty-eight. I went to lunch with Deb and dinner with Kathi.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Winning the lottery is the only thing that comes to mind.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
This question cracks me up every year, cause me and fashion are not really friends. Lets just say slightly too big work clothes. Be it for the yard or the job everything is just a little big, not to big to warrant buying anything else but most everything is on the downhill slide of usability.
32. What kept you sane?
Lori, Music, Sunshine every day.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I usually don’t have an answer for this question, however this year even though I am not Catholic so he is not my pope I would have to say I was most impressed with Pope Francis.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
I don’t know if this is ‘political’ but what stands out is the Boston Marathon bombings. How easy it seemed to pull off. How much terror it caused. Being someone who likes to run marathons it was very scary.
35. Who did you miss?
My Mom, every day. My Family, my friends.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
It would have to be my friend Renee….I didn’t meet a lot of new people in 2013, but none from the six month job make the list.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
The lesson I continue to learn, everything happens as it should.